Y2 Notice Board during school closure
SCHOOL IS CLOSED DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT’S RESPONSE TO COVID-19.
We use this Notice Board each day to signpost you to work set on Google Classroom. If you need to contact us please use the following email addresses:
If you have serious concerns about anything please email SLT on: SLT@belmont.hounslow.sch.uk
We are offering a live start and end to the day to help add structure to school days (see details in the section below). Where possible, please try to complete the three assignments between these meetings. Each assignment is designed to take up to one hour. Remember to have breaks and try to get some fresh air. If you would like help with timetabling your day, please email the class teacher and we can send you an optional timetable that is similar to what we do in class.
Y2 Fighting for Survival Dressing Up Day
Tuesday 16th March will be the Y2 dressing up day. Your child can come to school dressed as either a nurse or a soldier. Here are some pictures to show you possible costumes.
Y2 Gardening Day
Y2 will be taking part in gardening activities on Friday 12th March. Please wear school uniform and make sure that you have a warm jacket or an additional layer that you can put on over your school clothes. If it is wet, then it is helpful to have wellies (please also bring your school shoes to change into after gardening).
ROYAL ACADEMY OF ARTS COMPETITION
The Royal Academy of Arts Young Artists’ Summer Show is a free, open submission exhibition for students aged 5 - 19.
We are very happy to say that Belmont Primary School is registered so parents can now register and start submitting your child's artworks. Each student can submit up to three artworks and there is no theme. The artwork can be made using any medium. It can be a painting, sculpture, photograph, installation, video, drawing, or a combination.
Artworks are judged by artists and arts professionals with selected artworks displayed online and on-site at the Royal Academy of Arts.
Submissions are now open and close on 26 April 2021.
Click on the image below to take you to the RAA website where you can find out more information.
Week beginning: Monday 1st March 2021
Please join the live Google Meetings every morning at 9.15am (until 9.30am). We will do the register whilst you read a book and go through the three lessons for the day ahead.
Groups continue at 9.30am straight after our morning meet. Each child has been assigned a day and this has been shared via email. These sessions will last up to 30 minutes and your child should have a pencil and paper for their session.
Please join us at 2.45pm (until 3.15pm Mon-Thurs 12-12.15pm Friday) for a live session to reflect on the day's learning.
Links are available on the Google Classroom.
Every day we will set three lessons (assignments) on the Google Classrooms. These will go live at 8.45am. Please take photos of your work and attach these to the assignment. You must submit/turn-in/mark as done when you finish the task. This sends us an alert and we will mark it. Please try to complete the assignments on the same day - just as if you were in school.
Thank you so much for all the entries to the Lockdown Photography competition. The standard of the photographs has been incredible and we have all really enjoyed looking at the pictures on the website.
This week is the final round of the competition and the theme is: Changes
This could be the changes that are happening outside with the first signs of Spring appearing. It could be linked to the changes that you will be making going from Home Learning back into school. It could be the change from day to night. You decide how you would like to represent the theme.
All of the entries will be displayed in the gallery on the Belmont website next week. Depending on the number of entries, SLT then choose their favourite 10 photographs from each age category to go forward to the public vote.
The winners will be announced on Friday 5th March.
Please ensure that you write the following in the Subject of your email:
- child's name
- year group
- title of photograph
A reminder of the rules:
- Only one photograph per pupil to be entered
- The photograph must be taken by the pupil in the last week
- The photograph must be linked to the theme above
- It should have an imaginative title which is submitted along with the photograph
- The only editing allowed is cropping
All the entries must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org email by Tuesday 2nd March at 12pm. Entries past this time will not be accepted into the competition.
The school has paid for Year 2 children to have access to this great resource.
While children are at home, we want them to be able to keep learning - in an enjoyable way. To help with this, we use Sumdog. Its game-based learning encourages children to practise maths, spelling and grammar. As your child uses Sumdog, the questions are personalised to their level, helping them progress. They're mixed with revision questions, to practise what we've already covered.
Here's how to get your child started on Sumdog:
- Download the app - you can use Android tablets or phones, iPads or iPhones, or Amazon Kindles.
- Use a computer - Sumdog works on all modern browsers. Just go to www.sumdog.com and log in.
- You can also get a free Sumdog parent login, and keep in touch with your child's efforts on Sumdog. (Children's log in info is on the back of their log in sheets)
We recommend that you join the Oxford Owl website and access their free ebooks.
Once logged in, you can go to the ebook library and read all the books for your colour. You can then try the next colour up. The books are really good ones.
This week we will be looking at the book 'The Magic Finger' by Roald Dahl in our English lessons.
This week in our maths lessons we are looking at geometry. We will be looking in detail at 2D and 3D shapes throughout the week and on Friday we will complete a Times-Table Challenge!
Extra Maths Tasks
Remember that you can use your MyMaths login to access extra maths. Go to the Practice tab or the Booster tab. You can select the Y2 work. If things are a bit tricky you can choose the Y1 activities. If you’ve done all of the Y2 tasks and fancy a challenge, you can try the Y3 activities.
You can also keep practising the times-table challenges. It is important to practise your current level but also previous levels too - to check you can still do them! We will do an official times table challenge as one of our assignments later in the term. Lots of information and all the challenges can be found on our website page.
Website Times Table Page
This week we will be learning about portraits and using sketching techniques in Art. We will be using our drawing and observation skills to draw portraits.
There will also be another PE lesson on fitness and a new wonderful music lesson with Miss Lynch.
In science we are continuing our 'Animals including Humans' unit and we will be learning about the 'Human Life Cycle'.
Other websites that might be useful:
- Sumdog - www.sumdog.com
- Cosmic Yoga - www.cosmickids.com/category/watch/
- Brain break clips/ dance: www.gonoodle.com – It is free to sign up! We use this resource lots at school so the children will be familiar with it.
- Get Set 4 PE: www.getset4pe.co.uk/ResourceBank - These tasks are quick and simple using general household objects. It's amazing what you can do with a pair of rolled up socks!
- Twinkl - Twinkl parent subscription offer – This subscription service used by teachers and schools is offering a free service for parents whilst schools are closed. Enter the code UKTWINKLHELPS.
- White Rose Maths - whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/ - Maths mastery website who have provided home learning packages for all year groups.
- Classroom Secrets - kids.classroomsecrets.co.uk/ - You can sign up for free to the Kids sections of the website. Lots of activities for children to use independently.
- Oxford Owl - www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/find-a-book/library-page/ - sign up to access lots of free e-books for ages 3-11.
- Audible - www.audible.com